Wikipedia

Search results

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND - TOWARDS A FINAL SOLUTION

You can find my 'Highly Commended' Eureka Street/Reader's Feast awarded Essay on
Eureka Street !!!

I'm not a Catholic but.......
Eureka Street is a Roman Catholic Jesuit e-publication and they have published my entry into their 20th anniversary writing competition. I didn't include a Catholic Saint to have a better chance of winning the money - it was synchronicity she has been part of my journey and learning!

I have a love/hate relationship to the Catholic Church as my Inheritance blog reveals...Julie's working-class pedigree   but there is a sense of  being home when I'm in their churches, enter the imagery of Biblical and angelic stories, and there is this part of Catholicism which continues a tradition of Social Justice activism which I am attracted - thus my curiosity led to the writings and probings on "Eureka Street".

It is my Humanitarian nature which makes me boldly go where my ancestors were either too oppressed by Class or selfishness to bother or saw it wiser to keep out of trouble!

At the age of 48years my Eureka moment is a realisation that it is I who is the black sheep of the family!
Not the odd alcoholic or adulterer, dis-eased by depression. I am the square peg in the round hole!
My family loves me, but I write, perform, wanted to be famous.....And it's not because I am the only one to have Bi-Polar Mood Affective Disorder - that I am a Poet?

The conflict I have with Religion is symbolic of my mother/father toxicity. I have to admit that even though they claimed me illegitimate because I was Christened into the paternal Church of England up the road, my imagination responds to the Catholic cultural traditions and explorations - In other words, it's Magic, and Theatre.

I hung my essay on the hook of  being a Mother and Grandmother. All  very pagan Goddess really, rather than Godly, but these issues of  cause and effect of being a Refugee are archetypal and universally historical and contemporary.
Where is that Golden Ruler?

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34)

Cartoons by Fiona Katsukas appear on Eureka St.
She is smart and sassy and after you laugh it is with regret 
this is about an ALP Government led by our first woman Prime Minister, Julia Gillard - very much a sad and sorry state of the nation on asylum seeker policy.2011, which is what my essay at Eureka is all about:





This is all I have left to say on the issue/i have been distracted/ forgotten to take my meds/
How did that happen?

I will divorce myself from current affairs and "cultivate the garden" as Voltaire advised.
In a mad, bad world one has to learn how to retreat, enjoy the fruits of gardening.

 I pray for peaceful resolutions for asylum seekers.







No comments:

Post a Comment