Wikipedia

Search results

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

HOT CROSS BUNS

I've been born again, many times; something to do with my bi-polar brain chemistry, responds deeply to the high's and lows of the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus. This year my journey  of the spirit to Calvary has been triggered by those enticing Hot Cross Buns at Woolies straight after New Year 2013.

They couldn't even wait until after Chinese New Year - which usually falls around my birthday.

I CELEBRATE 50 YEARS ON THIS EARTH VERY SOON - my formative spiritual development from 4-10years was the established Church of England Sunday school, along with Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy. 
St. Wulstan's was a hop, skip and a jump and across the road (and my mother could get a decent lie-in and time to self from my twin sisters and I).

The Sunday school teacher was also my Brown Owl from the Brownie Guide Pack which also nurtured my imagination with stories, songs and games, and achieving our 'badges'. I was in the Gnomes and Pixies pack which showed Great Britain's ability to blend it's folk and Middle-
Eastern  Judeo-Christian belief systems together.


I had sung solo for Brownie competitions and was in the Church choir which would have been my first professional engagement.

I loved playing the part of Mary so much in the Nativity play that after rehearsal I had an intense religious experience! Yes, the white light of love of God presented itself to me as I  ran home in the lamp-lit early evening and opened the gate. 
It was truly Pure and Godly, but I decided not to tell my parents reasoning I wanted to hold onto this feeling for myself - well you don't share about your orgasmic experiences do you?

At Tiverton Rd. Primary School I was picked to paint the centre panel of Jesus on the Cross for the Easter mural. The process had a religious effect to my suggestive brain that no matter how secular and rational I have become I do feel the pain and suffering of the Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross - and probably planted the seed of social injustice within me too.

The teacher must have thought it worthy enough to enter it into a group entry in a "Sandvic Christmas Art Competition 1973 (I was 10yrs) and slightly confused by the subject matter being ahead of the religious calendar...Well, it is January and I am already eating Hot Cross Buns!

Imagine the extension to our Arts if we had learned comparative religions and the cultural layers of beliefs, with Ecclesiastes preaching there is no new thing under the sun.

                               

There was only one other religion in my young world view - my local Church and the Roman Catholics who quite happily lived in most of the houses in my street.Certainly they did things differently, which I perceived as alien.

My friend across the road went to a Catholic school so when I went over to play with her, sometimes I had to wait whilst she did her Latin homework. Other days I would accompany her to Confession. Whilst she was in the cubicle I would anoint myself with Holy Water at the door feeling like I was doing something naughty.
I walked along the walls casting a fine comparative eye over their paintings of the Stations of the Cross. Liked our pictures better.

"What did you say" I asked coming out of the Church.
"That I had a fight with my sister." She had to say Hail Mary's, whatever they were. 

I confirmed to myself then, of doing the right thing to free myself from the Religions and their obligations: SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN

 Today I enjoy a healthy fruit Hot Cross Bun with morning tea and look forward to a long lead-up to  Easter, indulging further tastings of the other varieties on offer.





     



No comments:

Post a Comment